Thursday, April 17, 2014

Melancholy Thoughts for a Melancholy Morning

There is no doubt that a long-distance relationship can be a terrible and vicious thing. The absence and limitations of time and space make even simplest things incredibly difficult at times. With the effort of both parties, these trials can be overcome and moments of separation turned into experiences of each other that bring joy.
But what happens when those experiences begin to fall by the wayside? When the effort to maintain contact and reassure each other "Yes, I am still here. Yes, I am still thinking of you. Yes, I can't go a day without losing myself in you, if only for the brief moment that the busy world allows" dwindles into trace elements.
We all get caught up in life and anxiety. But then, isn't the overcoming of those obstacles the very nature of Love? If we ask to be supported in our efforts to bridge the gap of space and time, should we not expect an enthusiastic response from the one who loves us?

Sometimes I lose my faith. Without her to renew it, I do not know if it will return. And when she explains to me in so many words why she can't be around, all I can hear is "I have games to play, time to pass, idle hours to waste. My mind has no time for thoughts of you anymore. The television is calling, and you must wait. Internet distractions are calling, and you must wait. My need to relax and unwind is calling, and I have no effort to give when it comes to us."

Am I being selfish in my need? Or am I being treated like one more game - play with me when I am desirable, put me on the shelf when she'd rather be doing something else.

These days, it becomes increasingly difficult to tell one state of being from the other. I really hope it's just a phase, for both of us...


5 Minutes

What once was a storm,
Has turned into a drizzle.
Once we shared every moment,
Now we share so few.

The weariness of time and space,
It takes its toll.
And now as the day grows closer,
There is little left.

Little left to remind me,
Of what we were to become.
Of who you are,
Those many miles away.

You say the digital world,
Has become your bane.
Yet the Internet speaks to me,
Of telltale traces.

As you make your way through,
The artificial world.
Hours to pass in idle leisure,
With your nemesis.

Yet when I ask for 5 minutes,
You tell me “maybe”.
And it makes me doubt,
And wonder,
How you have so much time to play,

Yet no time to play with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment